This has been a pretty eventful summer for us over here in the McNeel household, which has been good and fun in a lot of ways. So I thought I'd do this massive post to tell a little about all the different things that have been going on. I know alot of people won't read everything, because, let's face it, this is one ridiculously long post, but I also like to write things down so that I can look back later and see what we did- kind of like an online journal :)
Ambrie Turned One!!!
This will get its own post. I just thought while I was telling about all the big events we've had this summer, I better start with this one!

Grandparents
My grandparents have been staying with us the past few weeks, and its been cool to have them here. My grandma, who is the toughest and most positive woman I know, has been fighting bone cancer for about three years. It was starting to take off again, so she's been doing chemotherapy and radiation treatments here in Cedar during the week, which is why they've been staying with us. I've got to say, they're pretty much the best house guests ever! My house is totally clean when I come home from work every day :) They also chip in for food and things, and have taken us out to eat a few times. Really, could it get any better? :)
I think/hope they've been enjoying it as well. They seem to. I've taken them to the Greenshow a couple of times, and they really loved it! I've also introduced them to the joy of snowcones from the Tiki Shack :) Tonight I think we're going to an Air Force band performance at the Main Street Park. So we've been doing some fun things.
My Grandma also turned 70 while staying with us! We didn't do too much, but my Aunt Rie came over from Panaca with her little boy Curtis and we all had pizza, cake and ice cream. It was a nice little family celebration :)






We had some sparklers left over from the 4th, so we thought it would be fun to go out and light those as well. And yes...that is my daughter outside in her underwear. She has a thing lately for taking off her clothes. She also changes outfits about five times every day. I hope this is a short phase.


Greenshow
We've gone to the Greenshow a TON this summer. Sadie loooooooooooves it- I'm pretty sure the Greenshow performers are her heroes, lol- and its a fun and free thing to do in the evenings. Sadie usually goes out on the sidewalk and dances along with the performers. Sometimes there will be huge groups of little kids out there dancing with her, but a few times its been just her and she doesn't care! She just dances her little heart out, and its so cute! :)
We've gone to the Greenshow a TON this summer. Sadie loooooooooooves it- I'm pretty sure the Greenshow performers are her heroes, lol- and its a fun and free thing to do in the evenings. Sadie usually goes out on the sidewalk and dances along with the performers. Sometimes there will be huge groups of little kids out there dancing with her, but a few times its been just her and she doesn't care! She just dances her little heart out, and its so cute! :)
Every night the Greenshow performers call a kid to come up on stage to answer a question and get their picture taken with the cast. Usually they call an older kid up, like 7 or 8-year-olds, but when we went on Tuesday they called Sadie up! She seemed pretty excited until she actually got up there and they started talking to her in front of everyone, lol! It was so cute though, and I was so proud of her :) I'm still waiting for them to email me the photo they took of her with the cast, but once I get it I'll post it.

This was at the first Greenshow of the summer. My friend Amanda invited me and the girls to go with her and her little boy

Like I said, Sadie likes to dance along.... :)

WORK
I found out towards the end of the spring semester that I'd be having some changes at work. Firstly, SUU's new provost will be adding degree requirements called "Engagement Tracks" starting next year I believe. Basically every new freshman will choose one of these tracks and will be required to complete certain classes and experiences in order to graduate from SUU. Then their diploma will say what major and what track they gradated with. One of these tracks will be Global Engagement, which naturally deals with my office (for anyone who doesn't know, I'm SUU's Study Abroad Coordinator). Because of the increased workload this will put on my office, my position was changed from 3/4 to full-time starting July 1st. It was a bittersweet change. One on hand, we've really been struggling financially this past year, and they not only increased my pay based on the number of hours I'm working now, but they also gave me a little raise. Such a blessing! But on the other hand, it means ten less hours a week with my girls, and that's been a hard adjustment. But I know so many moms who have always had to work full-time, and I feel really, really grateful that I've been able to work 3/4 time for so long.
Another big change I've had is we moved to a new office building, which is an old, remodeled house that has so much charm and character! I really love it! My old office was in a back corner of the Conference Center and my boss and I shared a tiny little space. Now I have my own office (the biggest one in the house- yay!), and we have space to spare. Its really, really awesome!
The third big change is I now have a new boss. Its a really big change for me because I've been working with the same Russian woman for the past seven years :) She taught me a lot and had such amazing life stories. I'm really going to miss her. But I'm also excited for my new boss. I've worked with him a little bit for the past five years, since he leads our London summer study abroad, and he seems really nice, organized and enthusiastic. It will be fun to see what new ideas and projects he comes up with for our international programs. He's also letting me start my work day at 7:00 so that I can take my lunch at 3:00 and go home then :):):) Since my girls sleep in until about 8 or 9, I feel like I'm not missing as much time with them. Its also nice to have some quiet time first thing in the morning to get through my emails and phone messages, of which I have PLENTY :)
A fun thing we've been doing for the past several years is hosting study abroad programs here for international student groups. This year we had a pretty large group from Vienna, Austria. Its always alot of fun when these students come, and this year it was more relaxing than most because we had an intern setting up most of the program and taking care of most of the arrangements- which meant a LOT less stress for me, lol! He did a great job, the Austrians were really happy with how everything turned out, and it was the least stressful summer program for me since we started doing them!

Summer Holidays and Class Reunion
We've had a great time with the holidays this summer. The Fourth of July was a blast! We hung out with some new friends of ours and went to the parade together, had an INCREDIBLE spot for the fireworks, and also had some dessert and little fireworks at our friends' house. All in all a great time!


The best floats were the ones that soaked everyone!

Our friends scored the sweet spot for the fireworks AND brought along a sweet setup for watching them :)

For the 24th, we went to Panaca, in part to celebrate my 10-year class reunion- YIKES! I can't believe I'm that old. On the night of the 23rd we had an adults-only dinner that turned out a lot smaller than we planned. Only 17 people showed up :( But I think everyone who came had a great time still- I know I did! (I stole these photos from Stacey's blog- Stacey, I hope you don't mind!)

On the 24th we went to the fun Pioneer Day activities, like the parade and a town dinner. Afterwards, we went to Kershaw Ryan State Park for my class reunion family mingle. It was still pretty small, but it was fun to visit more with everyone and to watch the kids play with eachother. Plus, its always fun to go to Kershaw :)

So thats pretty much our summer in a nutshell. If you made it through this HUGE post, then great job and thanks for reading :)

3 comments:
Looks like you guys have had a great summer! The Greenshow looks like so much fun! Awesome changes at your work too, so cool of your boss to change your hours so you could go home earlier!
Oh and of course I don't mind you using those pictures, I need to get them emailed out anyways!!
hey, it let me in this time! I did make it through the post, okay, so I skipped the work part. my sis knows a site that will print your blog in a book for you. I havent done it yet, but plan to. miss ya
love ya
Tess - it looks like you guys have had a fun summer. I CANNOT believe how big Ambrie is... but lets face it, I can't believe Bladen and Sadie are 4! It's weird because sometimes I get access to your blog and sometimes I don't. If its private you should add me laci.werner@gmail.com.
Post a Comment